Monday, July 27, 2015

Speedgoat 50k race report

With 11,800 vert of climbing, Speedgoat is undoubtedly one of the toughest 50k races in the country (multiple races make this claim).  Therefore a number of people thought I was crazy/stupid/etc. to do it as my first 50k.  Regardless, I did, with it serving as a terminus of sorts of my 9 weeks in Utah this summer.  As my first 50k (and 2nd running race ever), I went in with moderate expectations:
  Ø  despite the inevitable suffering, have fun
  Ø  avoid any major blowups or serious falls/crashes
  Ø  finish sub 8 hours

After check-in, a HUGE line for the bathroom prevented a proper warmup and I had to hustle to the starting area at about 6:28am.  Two minutes later, hundreds of runners surged forward across the line and I quickly realized I had positioned myself WAY too far back in the pack.  
the start (photo: paul nelson photography)
I scrambled to pass what felt like a hundred people during the initial climb, since I knew the course funneled down to singletrack for the first downhill.  Once in a better position, I enjoyed the next three climbs and descents and arrived at hidden peak (mi8.3) at the 2 hour mark, as I had planned/hoped.  I was feeling good, yet nervous for the impact the big 7mi/3500 descent out to the pacific mine (mi15.5) would have on my legs.  There was a long (2mi?) stretch of rough, rocky jeep trail/creekbed that was hell on the quads and resulted in a few stubbed toes but fortunately I never took a digger.
running through wildflowers (photo: paul nelson photography)
I arrived at the pacific mine aid in 3:19, slightly ahead of schedule, ready for more food/water/wet buff before tackling the 3 big climbs that comprise the majority of the second half of the course.  The first of these climbs was fortunately shaded and I hiked past about a dozen people and got passed by 2 or 3 strong uphill runners.  The aid at Larry’s Hole (mi21) was a beautiful sight and I quickly exited, double fisting watermelon and banana, feeling good, and started up the second to last climb up Baldy.  The course map I viewed/studied online showed the route up Baldy to be the east ridge (which I had hiked during my mini-WURL a few weeks ago) so it was a major surprise and much to my dismay that from the saddle below the E ridge, the course dropped down a few hundred feet and instead went STRAIGHT up the south face of Baldy.  It was basically a bootpack it was so steep.  Although I managed to pass a few people during this sufferfest, I was starting to hurt. 

From the summit of Baldy, I pressed onwards, reaching the tunnel aid station (mi23.6) in 5:57, slightly ahead of my goal time, where I snagged a delicious popsicle (amongst other things) before continuing through the tunnel to the second-to-last downhill.  A few runners passed me (seemed to be a theme on the downhills) but I reeled them in on the final steep climb up Hidden peak, which was a slow, slow grind, arriving at the final aid station (mi26.2) in 6:52, leaving myself just over an hour for the final 6 mile descent to the finish. 

Although I was hurting, I thought I could manage and finish just under 8 hours.  However, the course for the latter portion of the final descent was drastically different than the course map online (which I had partially ran/previewed coming down from my mini-WURL), so I spent/wasted precious minutes, stopping and looking around at every intersection, backtracking a bit on 2 occasions, frustrated, thinking I was off course and incorrectly following the flags from the morning.  After waiting for and chatting with another runner, we continued down the marked route from the morning, unsure of the route until near the very end, where the finish became obvious.  I crossed the line at 8:11:42 (68th place of 302 finishers), totally spent and with a major headache but stoked to have finished my first 50k in reasonably good fashion.

Rose: fulfilling 2 of my 3 race goals (fun & no blow-ups)
Thorn: the confusion/frustration on the final descent
Bud: carrying forward what I learned from this race to my training and future races
           
Thoughts: it would have been close but I can’t help but wonder if I had been able to break my 8 hour goal if I had been able to charge the final descent continuously, without the frustration/confusion that stemmed from the differing course & course map.  this course is really steep – I did too much running and not enough hiking in my preparation.  I tweaked my L ankle on one of the steep descents but I don’t think it is anything major.  I am excited (and nervous) for the Rut 50k in 6 weeks 

1 comment: