Monday, December 26, 2016

NW Passage Skimo Race

Winter!  After a slow start for most of November, winter has arrived in full force the past few weeks.  After wrapping up the fall semester, I was fortunate to make it over to McCall Idaho for the inaugural Northwest Passage Skimo Race.  I opted out of the Friday afternoon vertical race, not wanting to compete soon after sitting in the car for ~6 hours. 
race start (photo: bria)
Fast forward to the next morning, and myself and 50+ other racers were gathered in the starting corral (large and deep field due to the race being a qualifier for the US national skimo team).  Due to the cold temps (-16F at the start), the race organizers modified the start to be just out the door from the lodge.  In order to get to the base of the course’s first climb, the modified start included a ~50 yard dash with skis in hand, followed by a slightly downhill ski/skate to reach the skins-on transition point.  This was a unique but in retrospect fun way to start.  The ensuing climb was STRAIGHT UP a freshly groomed blue square that was particularly brutal.  There were a few minutes where I thought I was going to have to pause to throw up my breakfast.  Fortunately those feelings subsidized near the top as the angle eased up and we skied a short powdery run down the resort’s backside (lakeview bowl). 
sunrise from the base area (photo: bria)
The ensuing climb was short, and featured dual skin tracks at a nice reasonable grade (this would hold true for the remainder of the course).  The sunrise and resulting views near the top of this climb were outstanding.  The second run was again short and deep powder before making the climb to Sargent’s mountain.  The third and fourth descents of the course were the same thousand vertical off the summit of Sargents.  Due largely to bitterly cold fingers, I managed to drop a pole on BOTH of these descents and have to stop, sidestep/wallow uphill in deep powder to retrieve it.
second climb (photo: eric hoff)
At the bottom of the fourth run, I was mis-informed as to where to transition for the final climb and I already had a ski off before being told, no, I should in fact proceed slightly further if I had already done two Sargent laps.  Irritated, I clicked back into my ski and continued down to the correct transition point before throwing skins on for the last time (hoping the glue on my 2nd pair of skins would hold up).  Fortunately they held and I soon found myself below the course’s sole bootpack section, which proved to be steep, deep and fairly brutal.  Once on top, a short remaining skin brought me to the final transition point, where I made a point of catching the guy slightly in front of me.  The top portion of the final descent was steep and technical but once I was through the business, I hammered down to catch the guy in front of me, skating past him on the final cat-track slightly before the finish.  I ended up 17th of 52 racers on the elite course which is respectable considering the number of fast folks vying for the national team but also a bit short of what I think I am capable of.
stoked at the finish! (photo: bria)
mens results
A big thanks to Brundage Mountain, the USSMA and all the race organizers and volunteers for all their hard work in putting together this great course and event.         

Rose: great snow and a beautiful course predominately outside the resort boundary
Thorn: damaging one of my new race skis in their first ever race
Bud:  looking forward to some backcountry adventures til my next race (bridger at end of january)

Thoughts:  I opted to race without my HR monitor and in retrospect, I think I was a little light on the throttle on some of the climbs, due in part to the amount of attention I had to pay to try to keep some resemblance of warmth in my fingers

No comments:

Post a Comment