Tuesday, October 11, 2016

2016 Rut 50k (plan B course)

A winter storm warning up high on lone peak the day of the 50k unfortunately prompted a course re-route to avoid the exposed alpine terrain.  The resulting plan B course was much more runnable than I was prepared for and the noticeable lack of big, steep climbs (a strength of mine) further diminished my performance but I had a fun couple hours in the spitting rain regardless (5:16 finish).
hood up, head down (photo: Vo von Sehlen/runner's edge)
Due to the shortened course with considerably less vertical (6500ft instead of 10,500 i believe), I kept my effort pegged a fair bit higher than last year and ran the final 5 miles chasing Jeffrey down from Andesite as hard as my legs would allow but was disappointed to cross the line with “gas still in the tank” so to speak.
steep mud on the africa climb (photo: bria)
congratulating jeffrey at the finish, who bested me by 10 seconds (photo: crystal images)
Despite the dreary weather and the modified course, I had a great weekend with family and friends and am excited to return for another go at the full Rut course.    

Rose: this was my first time racing in true inclement weather, which in a sense was a fun additional challenge that I handled well
Thorn: slipping and sliding in the mud on the africa climb up to andesite
Bud: obviously snow at the Rut got me thinking about and excited for Shedhorn!

No comments:

Post a Comment