Sunday, August 23, 2015

3 Joe Traverse

I spent the anniversary of my brother’s death alone in the mountains, completing the 3 joe traverse in the Bitterroots.  I first completed this traverse last August 1st with him, which would be the last day that we would ever spend together.  Returning this year was an emotional challenge to say the least, and the day was filled with tears, sadness and memories - both good and bad.  I can’t believe it’s already been a year since his passing and not a day goes by that I don’t think about how much I love and miss him.

I took off from the main bass creek TH shortly after 7am, cutting switchbacks up to the summer TH and made good time up to the water refill spot at 7600ft about a hundred feet R of the trail.  I continued to the summit of little st. joe (2:24) where I passed 2 folks camping a mere 200ft from the summit.  
big st joe from little (picture from last august)
I continued west along the ridge, sticking to the rocky 3rd/4th class ridgeline proper between the top of the pinball wizard and the final cliffs of big st. joe, which I found to be much more enjoyable than the steep, loose sidehill climber’s trail off the N side of the ridge we did last year.  I ascended the 4th class gully through the final cliffband of big st. joe’s E ridge but I think next time I’ll try the ridge proper instead (possible low 5th class).  I arrived at the summit in 3:53 where a look back in the summit log at mine and Kit’s entry from last August brought forth many memories and tears.
a difficult sight to bear
After a long break for reflection and food, I continued west to stormy joe, staying south of the initial rocky ridgeline before gaining the upper ridge and the summit at the 5 hour mark.  The descent down the SW ridge to the trail went quickly and I found myself at the outlet of bass lake in 5:50, ready for a water refill and excited for the run out, having been only hiking thus far all day.  I ran down the nice summer trail on the N side of the creek.  I maintained a moderate pace for the first few miles but proceeded to charge the final few miles in memory of Kit, wanting to arrive at the TH totally spent (7:19).

I have no pictures from this outing since I lost my camera a few days later.

Stats: approx. 19mi/6800 vert/class 4 in 7:19 car-car at moderate pace (except last 3mi)

Thoughts: this is an enjoyable traverse, I believe the class 4 gully near the summit of big st. joe can be bypassed via class 3 terrain on climber’s R for those so inclined, sub 7hrs is certainly possible for me next time

No comments:

Post a Comment